Sunday, March 26, 2006

Metallica Rocked Cape Town Last Night

Last night we went to the Coke-Cola Colab concert. This was possibly the best concert ever hosted in Cape Town. We left home at 10:00 in the morning. It was an absolutely perfect day. Not a cloud in the sky, not much wind and a Metallica concert to go to. We spent the morning sitting on the grass in the stadium, listening to some of the South African bands that played. It was a great start to the day. By late afternoon, the heavier bands started to play. The big surprise for me was Seether ( previously known as Saron Gas). They are heavy, but they got the crowd jumping and singing along. They are also previously from Cape Town. So it was a great homecoming for them and us.

When the Metallica actually started later that evening (just after 21:00) the crowd was already in a frenzy. We had been waiting for years for them to come to our country and our city. Their set was supposed to last 2 hours, but after 2 and a half hours of mind-blowing masterpieces, they were called out to do another encore. They came out and did a couple of songs more to make a total of 3 hours that they had spent on the stage for us. My voice was practically gone, my back was killing me and my knees were basically useless, but I felt GREAT. The adrenaline was still pumping when I got to bed at 3 this morning. I got one really bad picture with my cell, but I hope that they will post more on the Metallica site. I will link to it if I find any.

After they finished their show they made a promise that got the crowd to roar. “Johannesburg, Durban...Looks like we saved the best for last” and then ”...we love and and we will see you again very, very soon”. I thought that my lungs were going to jump out of my throat we were screaming so loud. If they made this an annual event and they get big bands like this to come every time, this will be a total success every time.

We were lucky here in Cape Town, that the beer didn't run out. Apparently the event in Johannesburg ran out of beer very early and there was huge problems around this. We didn't have any of this. Just one great day that I will not forget soon.

I will post the Table mountain pictures soon.

No comments: